Monday, September 05, 2011

Rapid City, SD To Cody, WY

The diesel engine in my truck got a workout today as I crossed the mountains west of Buffalo, WY - I averaged 4.5 mpg climbing up the mountain!  At ~9700 feet the temperature dropped to 56 degrees and there were snow capped peaks in the distance.

Although my routing software directed me to take Highway 14 out of Sheridan, everyone I talked to recommended Highway 16 from Buffalo for anyone driving/towing a big rig.  It was not only an easy drive but a very scenic one, particularly, the descent through a huge canyon.  Unfortunately, photos do not do the experience justice.





Arrived safe and sound in Cody, WY to sunny skies and mid-80s temperature.

1 comment:

Donna McNicol said...

Can't wait to get out west again...headed that way this December and hope we get to stay west until August!!