Monday, September 19, 2016

Dash Cam

For a while now, I have been thinking about buying a dash cam to record everything from critters passing in front of my vehicle to accidents. Unfortunately, in regards to the latter, I am a day late and a couple hundred dollars short (estimated repairs).

While driving north on Highway 89, an oncoming truck loaded with hay bales took a curve much too fast and dropped several bales into my lane. I got as close to the guard rail as I dared and although this kept me from hitting them head-on, both fenders on the left side of the jeep were partially ripped off. By the time I got stopped and inspected the damage, the other vehicle was long gone.

The problem with this scenario is that without another insurance company to pay the claim, my insurer would consider this a "collision accident" and I would be responsible for the deductible. Plus, my rate would probably go up next year. The good news is I have an appointment next Monday to have the jeep repaired and I am still alive to write about it.

With a dash cam I could at least show the bales of hay falling off the truck into my lane and proving the accident was not my fault. Knowing that I am driving to Las Vegas next week, I just ordered a Z-Edge 3 from Amazon.

Here are photos from the crime scene...


4 comments:

Sunny Weathers said...

I hate to hear about this incident. Glad you are OK!

Jim Brown said...

Thanks. I want my obituary to read "shot by jealous husband at age 105", not "killed by hay bale on Highway 89".

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are ok, the Jeep can be fixed easier than you!! Can't wait to see the footage from your dash cam.

Jim Brown said...

Thanks, Jan. The dash cam is scheduled to arrive today.