Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Cheated Death Once Again

If you would like to know what it is like to ride off-road at Sand Hollow State Park, I believe this photo of the vehicle I was riding in as a passenger will help...

Photo courtesy of Mack

This is the section that got us

Fortunately, neither John nor I were seriously hurt which speaks well for the safety of the side by sides. He bruised his left shoulder and my thighs are a little sore from hitting the grab bar. We were both wearing four point harnesses which I highly recommend.



Earlier while driving through the "high rent" Westside campground, I spotted friends that I first met in Moab some years ago. They are here for the big CST SxS Adventure Rally. Knowing that I wanted to see as much of the trail system as possible, I rode "shotgun" with Doug and John.

Here's what I learned:
  • First and foremost, you should travel with a group, preferably, one that has been here before. There are not a lot of signs out there and the potential for trouble is high.
  • Although you can ride here with a small machine (less than 1000cc), you will do much better with one of the big machines with lots of ground clearance and large tires, particularly, for the rock crawling sections which are numerous.
  • As you have probably gathered by now, there is not much "easy stuff" here. In my opinion, the bulk of the OHV trails are for experienced riders. However, for those adrenaline junkies, who crave some of the toughest/gnarliest obstacles I have ever seen, this is the place.
The battery in my camera died before we got to the really difficult areas so I did not get as many photos/videos as I would have liked...



Here's what the "big dogs" drive

Update (11/8/2018): A cold front moved into the area last night. The forecast for Kanab is low 50s during the day and low 20s at night so I have returned to Las Vegas.

No comments: