Thursday, May 16, 2019

Social Security Phone Scam

This morning I received three phone calls that my caller id identified as 888-815-1311, 888-815-1322 and 888-815-1327. As a rule of thumb, I ignore calls from numbers that I do not recognize thinking if it is really important, they will leave a message.

Well, all three left a message indicating that my "Social Security number had been suspended because of suspicious activity and that I was to press 1 to reactivate my Social Security number". It was apparent that this is a scam so I deleted the messages and reported them to the Social Security Administration and the Federal Trade Commission. Click here to see an informative article from USA Today on the practice.

2 comments:

Sunny Weathers said...

Wonder if they target an area? Charlie got several of those calls when we were visiting you in Vegas. None since we left...

Jim Brown said...

No way to know for sure. It appears to be national in scope based on Google searches.