Saturday, April 01, 2017

Boondocking

Camping in the desert is surprisingly peaceful and relaxing. I am staying overnight in the BLM's La Posa area south of Quartzsite. My nearest neighbor is maybe a half mile away and the only sounds, other than my snoring, are the wind and an occasional airplane. If it was not for that restraining order from the American Society for the Prevention of Blindness, I could have run naked through the cactus (there's a mental image that's going to haunt you for a while). Here's the view through the RV's rear window...



Another reason for staying here is the opportunity to see how well my two Honda generators hooked up in parallel run an air conditioner. I bought a Honda EU2000i Companion back in the early 2000s for my trip to Alaska. Even when I had the Fuzion toyhauler which had its own generator, I would use the Honda at night to run the TV and charge the battery because it was so much quieter and sips gas. However, 2000 watts is not enough for a 15,000 BTU AC which I understand needs 3500 watts so I purchased a regular Honda EU2000i. By running both units with Honda's parallel cabling, I now get 4000 watts which I am happy to report runs the AC just fine...

No comments: