Monday, September 14, 2020

9 Mile Canyon

9 Mile Canyon is another fun trail about 50 miles north of Green River. My first stop was at the largest concentration of old coke ovens I have ever seen...

Remains of over 800 coke ovens near Sunnyside, Utah

Next was an aerial tram once used by a mining company to transport ore off the mountain...


About half way through the trail, I came across one of mother nature's roadblocks...


Not wanting to back track several miles, I searched for an alternative route around the logjam (blog humor). After several dead ends and one locked gate, I found one that took me through a beautiful canyon...


The last leg of the trail had a number of petroglyph panels, but it was late in the afternoon and I was tired, so I only stopped at one...

"The Great Hunt"

The big surprise of the day was watching a squirrel and what I believe to be a mink battling it out in the middle of the road...


Lastly, the area around Green River, Utah is becoming one of my favorite places to explore. The variety of scenery is simply amazing.

No comments: