Sunday, September 13, 2020

Black Tank Maintenance

I learned early on that the best way to control black tank odors was to thoroughly flush the tank when dumping. This included filling the tank about half full with the valve closed in order to build up enough pressure to wash stubborn particulate matter out of the system and get relatively clear effluent. I had been guessing at when the tank was half full which runs the risk of overflow through the toilet (not a pretty image). While in a Ace Hardware yesterday, I came across a water flow meter for $17.99 that will hopefully eliminate that risk...

Caveat: I have read that these plastic meters do not hold up well over time

While on the topic of black tank maintenance, here's a YouTube video that was helpful in learning how to unclog my tank's sensors. The CliffsNotes version is to add fresh water to the tank along with dish detergent and Borax and let that soak the tank while traveling to your next destination. All of my sensors are now working like new.

No comments: