Monday, June 18, 2018

California Craziness

It seems like every week you read or hear about some crazy law or regulation that California passes that increases the state's cost of living and makes you wonder "what were they thinking" (my favorite is the anti-flatulence law). Most of the time, I just shake my head and am thankful that I do not have to live there.

However, this week I get to experience first-hand the cost of one of their laws. If all goes well, I plan to pickup a small travel trailer in Upland, California on Thursday. As a resident of South Dakota I like to title and register all my vehicles there. In all of the states where I have purchased vehicles in the past, all I had to do was let the dealership know I was going title it out of state; sometimes, I had to sign a government exemption form or if the state had a reciprocal agreement with SD, pay the sales tax at the time of purchase. The point being there was no additional cost.

Not so with California. In order to title and register your RV out of state, you have to pay a transporter to take it to the nearest state line before you can take possession. In my case, I have to drive to Upland to complete the paperwork/purchase and then follow the transporter to Primm, Nevada before hooking it up to my truck. The cost: $520 ($455 towing + $65 notary public). What a waste of time, fuel and money.

No comments: