Thursday, April 26, 2018

Jeep Modifications

In preparation for towing a RV trailer, I had U-Haul install a 7 pin connector and brake controller on my Jeep. Although it came with a tow package, there was only a flat 4 pin connector which does not have the ability to brake the trailer.

Newly installed 4 pin & 7 pin connector

Much to my surprise, the tow package used a 3.73 gear ratio instead of 4.10. In an effort to improve the overall performance of the Jeep including towing, I purchased a Superchips Flashpaq.


This device comes with several preset performance tunes along with the ability to do a custom tune. It will even correct the speedometer if you go to bigger tires. Lastly, you can return the Jeep back to stock mode before taking it to a dealer.

Click on image to enlarge

I am currently running the 87 (octane) Performance Tune. I have not noticed any significant change in power but the automatic transmission appears to shift smoother. There is a Heavy Load Tow Tune which requires 91 octane gasoline that I will switch to when towing. I am also curious to see how the Crawling Tune performs on those really gnarly trails. 

No comments: