Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Vegas Heat

Although my RV came with two 15,000 BTU roof air conditioners, it is all they can do to keep the inside temperature under 85 degrees F when it is over 100 outside. In as much as I want to see if I can take the heat in Las Vegas this summer, I needed to look at other ways to cool the RV.

I spoke with some people in the office who live here year round and they recommended a portable air conditioner that vents to the outside. However, when I looked at those units, I discovered that they were not only more expensive than window conditioners but did not work as well.

After some careful window measurements and then shopping online, I found a 6,000 BTU LG air conditioner that appeared to be just what I needed. It arrived on Monday and much to my relief fit the window in the slide-out perfectly. I used some water hose insulation that I bought several years ago during a cold snap in NC to seal the ends of the unit so there are no drafts in or out of the RV.

Since then, we have had two days where the outside temperature was in the low 90s and I am pleased to report that it not only worked well but cut down on the time the big roof A/Cs were needed. Hopefully, I will stay cool this summer and lower my electric bill at the same time. 😊

Inside

Outside

No comments: