Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lassen Volcanic National Park

The main reason I stopped in this part of California was to tour the Lassen Volcanic National Park where all four types of volcanoes (shield, composite, cinder cone, and plug dome) can be found here. Lassen Peak is one of the largest plug dome volcanoes in the world. Its last eruptions were between 1914 and 1921, with the largest explosion on May 22, 1915. No one can say when or where the next eruption will occur, only that it will.

The other major feature of the park are the boiling mudpots created by the hydrothermic system deep underground. The sulfurous gas they give off allows you to smell them before you see them.




I have some videos that I shot in the park, but the Internet connection here is so slow I will have to post them once I get back into good 4G territory.

Update (6/18/2020): Was able to upload boiling mudpot video early this morining...



Update (6/19/2020): It took 3 hours, but I finally got the last video uploaded...


No comments: